The Role Social Media Can Play In Divorce
Facebook and other social media play a key role in many people’s lives. They can also play a key role in divorces.
A few years ago, the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers conducted a survey that showed more than 80 percent of family law attorneys have been involved in one or more cases that used social media evidence — today, that number could be close to 100 percent. It has come to a point where divorce and social media often go hand-in-hand.
We Can Help You Navigate Social Media And Divorce
There are many reasons to hire an experienced attorney for your divorce or child custody case, one of which is ensuring that the court sees appropriate evidence. Over more than a decade of legal practice, the divorce lawyers at Marrs & Terry have seen how popular culture continues to shape divorce and have adapted to it to provide experienced, up-to-date legal help for clients in Ann Arbor and throughout Michigan.
The Steps You Can Take To Protect Yourself
If you are going through a divorce, consider this: Anything you post to social media, any email, any text message might be used against you in court.
There are steps you can take now to minimize social media’s impact on your case, such as closing your accounts entirely for the duration of your divorce. If that is not possible, then consider these suggestions:
- Make your social media accounts private accounts. Remember that you and your spouse may share Facebook friends.
- Do not use social media as a way to air grievances, especially about your divorce.
- Do not make negative comments about your ex, your divorce case or the judge overseeing your case.
- Do not post pictures of yourself during your divorce, especially pictures of you attending social events.
- Disable your Facebook friends’ ability to tag you in pictures or check you in to any location.
- Interact with friends outside of social media forums.
Talk to us about what other steps you can take to ensure that your Facebook and other social media information is private.
We Are Committed To Protecting Your Privacy And Reputation
At Marrs & Terry, we offer a personalized, efficient approach to divorce and other family law cases. We will take the time to counsel you and provide you with steps you can take to protect your privacy, reputation and rights during your divorce.